Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 20 - Continued...

Sunday, 11 September

We started this Sabbath Day by attending services with the Signal Mountain, TN Branch.  Kaleb had scripture sharing in Primary and did very well.  After the 40 minute trip home, we had some lunch and then grandpa took a short nap while grandma spent some time with the boys watching some videos.  After my nap, each boy chose a quiet activity for the afternoon...

Ammon chose to spend the afternoon with grandpa and his new Erector set... actually, he got it for his birthday a year ago, but just today decided to tackle it.  Of course, he chose the hardest project in the book... a rescue helicopter.  There was no talking him out of it so we dove right in after I gave him a short lesson on organizing his parts and construction workflow... I was an expert builder when I was a kid... I loved my Erector Set and I collected thousands of pieces (by the way mom, where did that set go?)









After most of the afternoon, we managed to assemble the base and the rotor motor... Ammon decided he had had enough for one day... I can't tell you how much I want to be sitting in the kitchen right now finishing that helicopter!  The pieces in the sets of today are awesome... Allen bolts instead of the impossible little slotted screws I had to deal with.






While we worked, grandma and the other two boys made some delicious cookies... they were great with a glass of cold milk!










Kaleb and Hyrum colored posters...
















... and read books with grandma out on the pavilion...












...overlooking the beautiful valley below.












Later, as I prepared to grill hamburgers, it started to rain...











...and we were blessed with this beautiful rainbow.  For me, it was a gentle reminder on this day that we remembered the tragic events of 10 years ago, that God lives and He is watching over us.

Shortly after this, right after dark, the entire valley was plunged into total darkness for about two hours during a power failure...

After getting the boys settled in bed (not an easy task when the power fails), Deb and I sat rocking on the porch and marveled at how lucky we are to be alive and to be taking care of our grandsons for the next week.

Tomorrow, we are going to the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga,,, rated #1 in the USA...

Goodnight.

No comments: