Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 23 - Mmmmm... Chooooocolate!

Tuesday, August 12th - Hershey, Pennsylvania


We started out in the Amish back country this morning... we passed this covered bridge on Conestoga River just outside Bird-In-Hand. This is the same river that flows through the farm in Ephrata that was owned by my ancestors around the turn of the 1900's. (See last year's road trip blog).



On the way to Hershey, we passed this sign and thought Joy may get a kick out of it... not everyone has their own mountain!


As we entered Hershey, the most amazing aroma filled the air... imagine a town that smells like a chocolate shop!



This sign tells a little about the amazing man that created this town...


On the way to the visitor center for Chocolate World, we passed this street...


...and this street... notice the Hershey Kiss street lights...

Debbie points out some of the attractions in heaven...

I mean Chocolate World...

Some of the 20 million Hershey Kisses they make every 24 hours...

We took this "Disney-style" ride through the factory then Debbie walked around the park while I took a chocolate tasting seminar. I paid to learn many very interesting facts about the art of chocolate and to "experience" chocolate like I have never before experienced it (no chewing allowed). The seminar focused mainly on the dark chocolates (this is why Deb did not participate) and it was wonderful. The chocolatier was quite surprised when I told her that I had experienced 90% cocao chocolate (Thank you Craig)... the most she had ever experienced was 70%. After the class, I bought samples of each of the chocolates so I could host my own chocolate tasting experience when I get to Utah with the kids... ( I bought a selection for you too, Craig).

After leaving Hershey (hard to do), we headed for Bedford for the night. When we arrived, the Quality Inn had messed up our advance reservation... we had no room when we got there! They "honored" the guarantee by paying for a night in a competitors motel. However, today I discovered that they also charged the first room against our award points even though we did not stay in the hotel... so for the second time this trip, we have had to file complaints with Choice Hotels... It can take up to 10 days for the complaint to be resolved... I am taking wagers...

No comments: