Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 43 - Holy Family History Mother Lode!

Tuesday, 04 October

Today we hit paydirt in the Lewistown Public Library... They have the most amazing records on file and they are organized so well... I cannot believe the many records that we found today pertaining to my family history, Deb's family history, and Jennifer's family history.  I will not detail it here because it is probably only exciting to me, but we will be staying another day so we can continue our quest!

I do have to tell one story... It turns out that my great uncle Don married a girl by the name of June Hummer.  Deb's great aunt had a son named Al Nierstheimer. Al's wife is the sister of Ruth Hummer, so Don and Al are brother-in-laws! 

And if that is not crazy enough, Jennifer's ancestor's built the stone hospital that my ancestors died in and my father was born in... They also built the Carnegie Library that all these documents are now housed in (where we worked all day!)

Now if this place was a huge city I would not be so amazed, but this place is an out-of-the-way postage stamp of real estate... it it blows me away how they all wound up here and how we are related... my world feels really small today!

On the way out to visit a third cemetery that we found out about today, which is about 10 miles north of Lewistown, we were blessed with another beautiful Montana sunset...



No comments: