Monday, September 17, 2007

Day 21: Ft Dodge History revealed...

I cannot believe it has been three weeks since we hit the road...

Today we spent the entire day at the Fort Dodge Library... Deb was in the Genealogical Library and I was in the Historical Society Library.


Debra is very happy with the information that she has found to round out the history of her Ft Dodge ancestors... The library was supposed to be closed today but we found a volunteer working that allowed us to come in. She wound up staying over 4 hours for us... while we were there, six other people came in while Deb was there and the volunteer said she has never seen a busier day in the small library.


Meanwhile, next door at the Historical Library, I spent over four hours making copies of Ft Dodge directories dated from 1889 through 1956... over 175 copies. But it was worth it as they told the story of all of Deb's ancestors during those years... where they lived, what they did, and who they lived with.


It was especially fun to find the records of Don and Marcella in 1946 when they lived in a house at 1510 2nd Avenue South where Donna was born and Don was listed as a sales manager for Swaney Home Appliance Company.






The next directory printed in 1954 listed Don's profession as USA and showed them living at 1329 2nd Avenue South, her parent's home (now the convent).







We thought we had a lead on August Zimmerman due to the "GAR" grave marker on his grave, but it did not pan out when we talked to the local expert on the GAR Post. However, Deb did find a disturbing newspaper entry in the August 20, 1876 "Messenger" that detailed the investigation into his tragic suicide that occured on August 12, 1876. Unfortunately, we still know very little about him or his life and what may have led him to this demise other than he was a milk carrier for the local creamery.


Well, this was probably not that interesting for most of you, but it was a great day for Deb. I was glad to be a part of it.


It rained last night and was very hot and humid today! The forecast is for rain tomorrow... we need to go back to the cemetery and take some more photos tomorrow so I hope we get some breaks.


Tuesday we will leave Ft Dodge and start towards Illinois by way of Des Moine...

I found out today that the information that I have had that my grandfather was stationed at Ft Dodge during WWI is false... the Fort did not exist during the war (it was decommissioned after the Civil War). I think the camp where he must have served is Camp Dodge, just north of Des Moine, IA. This is still an active Army Post and is the sight of the largest military museum in Iowa... I want to visit and see if I can get the straight story on my grandfather Tradup.


We miss all of you and wish you were here with us... we are having a great time together... I am glad we decided to take this trip together now rather than waiting for that "rainy day. Thanks to everyone that is making it possible for us to do this... you know who you are and you are great! We love you all!


Goodnight, Scotty and Deb.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Mom! I was waiting for your calls all day and they never came. I cant wait to hear them. Miss you guys and am so glad you finally get to be in Fort Dodge!

Anonymous said...

Hi, son and Deb! I for one find your trip intriuging. I know you must have been so excited, Deb, finding all those treasures, an experience you will never forget. I'm glad you two are enjoying it while you are still young and healthy, You will never regret it, of that I am sure. Scott you have lots of relation living in the DesMoines area. Most of it is on my grandma's side of the family, the Weston's. They have had a family reunion every year for over 50 years now. We have a cousin, Bill Edwards, living there too. There are two cousins living just out of Audubon. They are corn farmers. i guess they are still alive.
The one cousin in Des Moines keeps inviting us to come to the reunion but we have never made it.
I had to stop this for awhile and chat with my brother, Ken. He likes to chat each night. I enjoy it too and gives me a check on his well being.
Interesting about Dorothy's dad and his brother, August. Must be Camp Dodge, like you say. They were both living in Minnesota at the time, according to Dorothy's records. Shows how things can get messed up genealogy-wise. Dorothy was surprised when I told her what you found out about Ft.Dodge not being there in WWI.
Have to go and join with my wife for our prayers and get to bed. Good to hear from you and know that you are having a good time. Drive careful. We love you.
Keep that blog a blogging!
Dad