Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Day 22: The Edwards Mansion... McMennamin move over!

Ok... I dropped Deb off at the new Ft Dodge Library for another day of family research.

Then I headed over to the old Ft Dodge Library, which just happens to be "For Sale".









Just out of curiosity, (and a sincere desire to find an adventure in Ft Dodge), I said, "What the heck... I am going to call the Realtor and take a tour." And that is just what I did.

While I was waiting for him to arrive, I took a few shots of the outside...









A monument above the entry says it was a gift from Carnegie (yes, THE Carnegie) to the city of Fort Dodge.









Well it seems that the city decided they needed a new Library (not everyone was happy about that) and sold it to a guy from California a few years ago who bought it with high asperations to restore it for his mother who then decided to die... he lost interest in the project and now it is on the market again.

This is the front entry of the 18,000 square foot building built at the turn-of-the-century.









This is the West Wing on the main floor with the stone fireplace... there is another on the top floor.









There is a "dome" on the top floor that was added sometime in the '30's that prevented the building from being placed on the National Historical Registry. However, the rules have been changed and the building is now eligible, which would give the purchaser many tax credits and incentives that would aid in the restoration.

The realtor said the city is willing to zone this building any way necessary to make the sale. I am thinking this would make a nice winter home, huh? No problem finding rooms for everyone, eh?

Ok... How much? Now the answer everyone has been waiting for... just $62,000.


Yes, you read that right... $62,000 and don't forget those government credits and incentives!


Anybody in for an adventure to save a great building from the wrecking ball? Did I mention it has central air?


After Deb finished at the new library, we went house hunting to take some photos of more of her ancestors homes.


Along the way, we found a few other homes that we wouldn't mind owning...


Deb wants this one...









I want this one next door...









Or this one on the corner.


OK... This is the extra credit question of the day...


What is it? The person with the correct answer will get an all expense paid trip to spend a night in "The Edwards Mansion". Be specific... the partial judges decision will be final... but I have been known to take bribes.






We are now back at the motel... We are doing some laundry and watching "Dirty Jobs" and I am being treated to an Iowan "gully washer" complete with thunder and lightning.


And you were wondering how in the heck is he going to find anything interesting to blog about after five days in Fort Dodge, Iowa?


Tomorrow, after a quick visit of the Blanden Art Museum, we are going to head to Mapleton, Illinois... we should get there around dinner (unless we find something interesting along the way that slows us down).


Let me know what you think about the winter home... no really.

7 comments:

Jess said...

It's a bandshell in Oleson Park for outdoor concerts! Do I win?

Joy said...

Hey I was going to say that! I should win because I have a picture standing in front of it with Marcella! Way to go Jessi! What did you do google Fort Dodge?

Anonymous said...

Would be a long drive from here just to winter over in that place. I can't imagine what the heating bill would be there. Nice building and seems the price is right. Must not be on the best seller list, though, or it seems it would have been sold by now. REal estate must be pretty cheap there. As for the contest, well, I knew it had to be something to do with music but certainly didn't know the name of the park. That shell no doubt projected the music out over the park, like a megaphone.
WE took Joyce and Wally Bischoff out to dinner tonight and then took them home and visited with them and Mike for awhile. Mike is just as radical as ever. He is packing around 19 pounds of metal in his body now, e.g., new shoulder joint, leg bone, arm bone. Caused by osteoarthritis.
Things are well here. Each day, your mom seems to be improving in the leg pain department. Got the results from the CT scan on my head today. Had to call them twice to get it. The scan on my brain bucket was negative but it did show that I have a cyst in my maxillary sinus; Now that is something that i could have done without but a relief that I don't have a brain tumor, etc. Have physical therapy tomorrow for my neck.
We enjoy your informative blog. I really like those old houses you sent pictures of. TAke care. WE love you.
Mom and Dad E.

Scotty and Deb said...

Ding, ding, ding... Jessi you got it! Now can you name the World Famous Band Director that made it famous? Hint: He lived here in Fort Dodge and I just might have a clue on one of my previous blogs...

Scotty

Anonymous said...

Geez Scott, you didn't even leave the contest open long enough for those of us that don't stay up late at night to read the blog to give our answer. We figured it out too and since we are older than Jessi and Joy we should win. Joy cheated anyway because she was there with mom.
John R.

Scotty and Deb said...

Tell ya what John... there will be plenty of rooms in the Edwards Mansion... so we can all hang out and play one massive game of Five Crowns... you in?

katy said...

im soooo upset!!! i knew the answer too i thought i was being really smart. i agree with uncle john, I didn't even get to guess...it is Karl L king that made it famous i think after all it is named after him. I want a prize too!!!