Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Day 23: Skillets, Hoovers, and curtain climbers...

Greetings from Mapleton, Illinois...

Today, after a brief tour of the Blanden Art Museum, we got the heck outta Dodge... (I have been waiting the whole trip to say that!)
On the way to Illinois, we saw a sign advertising the largest skillet in Iowa...
We had to check it out... can you figure out why?






Then we decided to check out the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library.






It is the smallest of all the Presidential Libraries but was very nicely done and quite interesting.






The entry doors were engraved with the Presidential Seal and were pretty cool.






When we left the library, we walked the grounds of his birthplace home right there on the campus...






There was even the presidential one holer out back of his boyhood cottage...




President Hoover and his wife are also buried on the hill above the library overlooking his home.




At about 6:00 p.m. Central Time, we crossed the Mighty Mississippi into Illinois.






A short while later, Deb caught a shot of the sunset over the very, very, flat Illinois corn fields.






At 7:57 p.m., we rolled into Brandyn and Jennifer's home and were greeted by some very excited grandsons!






We had dinner and grandma got some help with her spelling from Ammon before we all settled down for a good night's sleep... Brandyn set up a waterbed for us and I can't wait!






Miss you all, Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, from Oregone! I had checked your blog just a little while ago and it was not yet on here. I was just about to hang it up for the day and decided to check again. Glad I did. I know your are excited to be with Brandyn and family. And for sure those grandkids were glad to see you.
I found your photos of Herbert Hoover's library, home, etc. interesting. The one of the "one-holer" brought back some memories.
Did it have a Sears catalogue in it? (Ha! Ha!) Herbert Hoover was a very educated person, a mining engineer. He served during a very hard time during his presidency. I recall my dad talking about him. You guys have sure seen a lot of interesting things on your trip so far. The photo of the sun set reminded me of the sunset we experienced just as we were nearing Nauvoo when we took our trip back East. That was a fun time in our lives so I know what you are experiencing now. How long will you be at Brandyn's place?
Had my first appointment with physical therapy today. The guy applied some supersonic thing to me neck, told me to exercise my neck and told me to come back three more times x $30/co-pay:)
Cooling off a little now. Feels like fall in the air, a good feeling.
Mom sends her love. She is doing better.
Am enjoying your blog. Love ya!
Dad