Monday, October 29, 2007

Day 63: BMW, Bullets, and Brazil

Monday, October 29th...

Today for the first time in over sixty days, I did not take a single photo with my camera...

We are still at Jayson and Heidi's place and will be moving to Ryan and Teresa's tomorrow.

I slept in a little this morning while Deb and Heidi went for a walk. Jayson worked the shack today so I had an opportunity to catch up on some much needed tasks (like blogging).

Deb, Heidi, Katy, and Mae, went to see Teresa and Haylee. They went to the park together and watched Haylee ride her bike.

While they were there, I went to the new BMW dealership in Pleasant Grove to get a rear wiper for the Mini. They do not handle the Mini Coopers, so I had to drive to Murray. It was a long way to go for a lousy $4.00 part! While there though, I learned something kind of cool and kind of creepy... I was curious about my warranty... so they dropped my ignition key in a donut shaped reader and it told them everything about my car... The VIN, the current mileage to the 10th of a mile, the year, the color, what kind of warranty, service information, and my mother's maiden name... just kidding... but it was amazing how much that key could tell them!

The important thing is that the bumper-to-bumper warranty is good until February... that means when I get home, I can get a small problem that I am having with the front seat padding fixed for free... and free is a very good price!

Everything else has been fantastic with the Mini... It has been a remarkably comfortable and fun car this whole trip... everywhere we go, people tell us how much they like the car and that they want one also... especially the kids... I am really glad that Deb decided to get this car... it definitely has a personality and it has taken good care of us over almost 12,000 miles in the last 63 days... It is going to be kind of strange not to travel across some state every day when we get home.

Late this afternoon, Jayson, Toby, and I drove a few minutes up Hobble Creek Canyon to do some plinking... Jayson has a new .22 lever-action rifle that we wanted to shoot as well as a couple of other rifles that Jayson and Tobes brought. We had fun shooting at some pumpkins that someone had brought to the quarry. Tobe's Ruger 30.06 did a number on them at 100 yds and Jayson made the pieces dance with the .22... I wish I would have brought the camera with me... but I left it behind for Deb in case she wanted to take some more photos of Mae... (You can't have too many pictures of your grand-daughters, you know!)

I got the chance to put a box of .38 +P rounds through Debs new S&W J-frame "Airweight". I wanted to check her laser sights out in an outdoor situation during daylight. They worked great allowing me to shoot 2-3 inch groups at 20 feet and consistently hit within a foot of the beam spot at 75-100 yards, shooting from the hip. It is a very nice weapon and handles very nicely with very little recoil... it will make a nice carry weapon for Deb. She is scheduled to get her concealed carry permit when we get back home.

It was a lot of fun being up there with Jayson and Tobes... I have always loved plinking with my dad and it is great to share the sport with my sons when I get the chance... I wish I had a place to shoot that was that close to home... I would be there every week I think... I love sport shooting and want to live somewhere where I can do it more often (preferably closer to my kids!)

Tonight, we had dinner at a little cafe (it reminded me of one of the many little diners we would stop at during our hunting trips to eastern Oregon), where they serve traditional Brazilian food... it was cheap and it was good. We all ate until I think we were ready to explode.

Jayson came home and went right to bed, while Deb sewed some scout patches on his Scout shirt and Heidi, Joy, and Katy sewed Halloween costumes... You will have to wait to see them... they are awesome.

I too am going to bed now. Tomorrow we will pack up and move to Haylee's home for a few days before we start our journey home.

We miss our friends and family and are anxious to see them again even though I am not anxious for this Excellent Adventure to end... it has been fantastic and one of the best things we have ever done... we have so many great memories to share!

Goodnight.

Scotty

No comments: