Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 53 - Firearms, Pirates, and Jack-O-Lanterns

Friday, 14 October

Today was a great day with our oldest son Ryan and his family.  Ryan had the day off today and they had a fun day planned for us... we could tell that they put a lot of thought into the day's activities and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Ryan and I went shotgun shooting over in the hills west of Utah Lake.  We successfully powdered about 75 clays and then put about 100 rounds through my new Taurus PT609 Pro Titanium.  I was not very happy with the latter... the firing pin is light and the magazines spontaneously dislodged from the well when the gun was fired.  This really surprised me because I have had excellent luck with Taurus firearms in the past.  I called Taurus and they had me overnight the gun to them and they saiid they would fix or replace the gun immediately... we can only hope.

Meanwhile...

Before we went shooting, I got to play with our grandson Oliver... I was teasing him about his "jailbird" jumper...

 Deb took these cute photos of Oliver with some great diffused light from the large window upstairs...

 I like this one... we really have some cute grandkids!

 Oliver got to try on his Halloween costume... It is supposed to fit an 18 month old... Oli is about a year ahead of his time!

 While Ryan and I were shooting, the girls went to Costco... all of the shopping wore Oliver out and he decided to take a nap in the cart...

After a fantastic dinner of grilled New York Steaks and Spicy Honey Chicken, the kids treated us to a Halloween "cruise" on a flatboat on some private river in Provo... This was Oliver's first ride in a boat...

 He looked pretty tough in his life vest!

 Grandpa and Oli had a great time together as we floated the river...

... in the flatboat that our pirate captain pulled through the water by way of a rope that was suspended over the center of the river... while he pulled, he told us the story of "The Cremation of Sam Magee"...

 Oliver really enjoyed watching the lights and Jack-O-Lanterns that were suspended over the river and along the banks...

Hey Haylee, get in the picture!

 This is so fun grandma...

After the cruise, the kids posed for a picture with the "Captain".

All in all, it was a great day... and now it is time for bed... I wonder how the first day at Disneyland went for Jayson, Heidi, and the kids... Oh, I didn't mention that Jayson surprised them yesterday and loaded up the minivan and headed to California for the weekend... I couldn't ruin the surprise!

No comments: