Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day 54 - A Bomber, A Voice From Normandy Beach, and What About Those Cougars?!

Saturday, 15 October

Today I got to spend some great one-on-one time with my granddaughter Haylee and Deb got to spend time with our grandson Oliver and our daughter Katy. while Ryan and Teresa took some time to celebrate their anniversary coming up on Monday.

While Haylee was waiting for me to get ready to go to on our grandpa/granddaughter lunch date, we heard this B-17 bomber flying over the house...  So I grabbed the cameras...

 It flew by multiple times over the span of about an hour...


Something else really cool (and a little bit creepy) happened at the exact same time this plane flew over... Our son Brandyn is in France for two weeks for his job... He had a free day today and decided to take a twelve hour field trip...  He called me from Normandy Beach just as this photo was being taken!  Now what would be the odds of that?
 This is an amazing plane and it has the most distinguishable sound signature!  They always give me goosebumps when I hear them.

 Haylee jumped on her trampoline the whole time... I think she did at least 200 "butt drops" in a row...

As soon as I was ready, She and I went to Shakey's for lunch!  They used to have a Shakey's in Oak Grove when I was growing up... it was cool to go there today... lots of memories.  We ate salad and pizza and watched BYU beat up on Oregon State on the big screen...  Does it get any better than a Cougar win and desert pizza with your granddaughter?

 Meanwhile, grandma was having a good time with Oliver...

 He is quite the handsome guy...

 And he adores his grandma... especially when she reads to him...

Katy came over for the afternoon and later Joy... Oliver loves his Aunt Katy too!

After the game, Haylee helped me to wash about 7500 miles worth of dirt and bugs off of the Mini.  She loves to wash cars, but I think she loves to squirt grandpa even more.  It took a long time because we did not have very good water pressure, but we had fun working together and LIL BMW looks great again.

Joy and I went over to Maverik and got gas for the Mini... we were going to go over to Costco because gas is $3.439 there, but on the way we saw that Maverik had gas for $3.459... so i figured for only two cents a gallon more that i would be money ahead by not having to drive clear to Costco and back.  After filling the car, Joy and I went into Maverik to get a treat... (Love the fat free New York Cheesecake frozen yogurt.)  When we came out to leave a few minutes later, the attendant was changing the price of the gas out on the big Maverik sign... you guessed it... $3.439!  My dad always said that if it were not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all...

Everyone is settled in for the night now... we will get up and go hear Ryan sing in Stake Conference tomorrow and spend our last day here in Utah for this road trip... Monday, we start for home.

No comments: