Sunday, October 7, 2007

Day 41: Sunday Drivers...

Today, after an unsuccessful attempt to find conference, we returned to the Mt Zion United Methodist Cemetery on 11th Avenue in Akron, PA. to attempt to take a rubbing from little Ellen Price's grave marker...






I was not successful, but after spending some time on my knees studying the inscriptions using the Braille method, I was able to discern all of the engraving...







"ELLEN"
Daughter of
George & Amanda
PRICE
born Dec 4, 1876
died Jan 14, 1878
aged
2 years 1 month 10 days


While there, I also noticed two other markers in the same group for two babies,


one - Hattie May Adams...










and the other - Elmer C Albright...








Both of these family names figure into our family tree in this area...


Later, we drove to Reading, PA. to spend the afternoon in a Genealogical Research Center to do research on the families that we found yesterday and today...

We did not have much luck in the library, so we went back to the church to see if we could look at their records (they were having a service while we were their earlier)...


On the way, we passed this family returning from church...












and this group of girls returning from church on these "scooter" bikes that many seem to ride...












Then bringing up the rear was this Amish version of our Katy...









The church was empty when we got there so we called the office and left a message to let them know that we would like to make an appointment to see them when we come back through this area...



We decided to head towards Old Sturgis Village, MA tonight and made it as far as Scranton, PA. We want to drive the last 3.5 hours in daylight... that is the whole point of going up north... to see the scenery. This village is a working 17th and 18th century village that is like stepping back in time... we will spend the day there tomorrow before heading to Boston, MA and then on to Portland, ME.




Deb found some more information on the internet tonight, which identifies my great-great-great-grandfather Nedermeyer (Amanda Price's father) and a whole bunch of cousins... Deb told me we are definately going back to Ehrata and Akron on the way back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,again, Scotty and Deb! I'm still at Ken's waiting to see your latest blog entry. Stayed home today and tried to get conference on his computer. Didn't work very well. It kept cutting off so I finally gave up. Will watch tapes of it later and read the talks in the Ensign. They sure had a lot of people in attendance, to say the least.
You have been busy little bees. Looks like you are hooked on family history, Scotty. Good show. I recognized that clock that Deb was standing by. I'm still wondering if you found time to take in the museum I told you about. I remember that we went through Ephrata to get there and it was not far from there. The thing I really remember in detail was when I about knocked my brains out when I ran into one of the ceiling joists. Those people thought it a sign of obeisence to half to stoop. Even the doors were low. they slept on hard wood benches. The men ate at one end of the facility and the women the other. The married people lived outside the compound. They were known for their beautiful calligraphy, I think that is what they call it.
I called your mom tonight, I have each night I have been gone. She said she enjoyed having you call.
I am going to hunt in the morning and then go home, with or without a buck. May go up on the Game Commission land above friend. At least if I see one there I can legally take a shot.
I met Ken's young friend whom he fishes with a lot. he is now 14. He came over today and brought his new guitar with him. Ken taught him a few chords. Nice young man. He told me he belongs to Bahai (sp?) faith and some kid at school keeps picking on him on account of it. He wears a ring with their religious symbol of their faith and so that is why the punk harasses him. Takes all kinds.
Nice young man. Enjoyed visiting with him.
The tamarack trees and the vine maple are changing colors in the woods now. Very pretty.
Have fun on you foray to Boston and Maine. Love ya.
Dad

Anonymous said...

correction - it is have to stoop, not half!

and, for your information, it is spelled windrow